Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to improve fuel efficiency

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 21st April 2015
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: How to improve fuel efficiency

Originally Posted by spacecadet View Post
There was an American study a while back. It doesn't. If the airflow is restricted the engine management just compensates.
Since reading it I haven't replaced an air filter.
Google "Effect of intake air filter condition on vehicle fuel economy".

Theoretically the engine management system should compensate (as the air reduces so the fuel content should match) but most studies will admit a dirty filter reduces acceleration so it it takes you longer to get to the best optimum economic rpm and road speed it is bound to affect fuel economy in some fashion. Most American test results I have read seem to apply to engines 2.0 to 4.0 Litre and above so it would be nice to see a similar test for smaller European engines. Most studies seem to relate to petrol engines and as diesels are known as free air breathers a dirty air filter will have a greater affect.
Also you have to remember once a filters pores start to block you get what is called break-through whereby the filtter begins to separate and allows bigger particles to enter the air intake which is not good for the engine with the risk of increasing engine wear which in turn will definitely reduce the engines overall peformance and fuel economy.

I try to take the overall view in that comparing the cost of fuel in Europe against the cost of an air filter any gains by having a clean filter are cost effective even if it only improves fuel economy by 1%. Assuming a filter costs around 20 and you change it every 12,000 miles the cost pales into insignificance against the cost of the fuel over that time. One percent of 12,000 miles is 1,200 miles which will cost the average motorist 150 litres of fuel or an estimated cost of 200.

No doubt if I have got my figures wrong please feel free to correct me.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
Phil48 (22nd April 2015), VelSatisfied (23rd April 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome