Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - laguna electronic to manual conversion

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 22nd April 2015
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 1
Re: laguna electronic to manual conversion

Thanks SimonC1.

The renault CAN route will cost me I imagine as one guy charged me 25 just to diagnose something before - didn't even fix the problem.

The putting on a working version might also be a problem because I've heard that the front computer needs to be 'matched up' with the brake unit at the back for them to 'talk to each other' and this I know costs 65 as Renault dealers already tried that for my old one and that's what they were charging. So that would cost the price of the 2nd hand unit and the cost of the computer reset. Not worth it.

What drives me mad about all the 'black box' computer stuff is that you are held to ransom by the dealers (it's like the days of gangsters and protection racketeers) They create the problem and then tell you for a fee they can fix it.

On top of that you get charged just for them to assess the problem and there is no guarantee that they will fix it!! It's like going into ASDA supermarket and putting bread in your trolley and when you get to the checkout they say; "if you give me 25 I'll see if you can buy that." You give them the 25 then they say "It will be another 50 if you want to take it home"

No one will say. I know how to fix that and here's how much it will cost - up front! - like the sticker with the price on a loaf of bread! It's all up in the air and definitely a sellers market because they have the 'secret decoder' and plebs like us are kept in the dark.

I think we should crowd fund an open source car with all the electronics and controls totally open source and available free on the internet. That way everyone can improve it, ANYONE can fix it, and there is still someone making a 'reasonable' (as opposed to greedy) profit from parts that you still need to buy for wear and tear. Instead of this totally unnecessary manufactured and overpriced computer electronics service industry that has weaseled it's way into what should be a mechanical vehicle.

I'll phone and see if I can get a price on removing the 'check handbrake' - thanks for the suggestion.
Currently in beevo's garage:
Renault Laguna Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome