Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - ECU Reset or replace

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 20th August 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Hi Andrew - it depends on the age of the car. I can understand the dealers being somewhat vague and reluctant in their answers and even if I could reset the system I would refuse - simply on the grounds that if I did and the system didn't activate in the event of an accident - guess who you would be suing in court. Have you notified you insurers regarding the theft and damage of your vehicle - if not I doubt very much thay would be willing to continue to give you cover unless it has been repaired by a recognised and competent repairer.
In the interest sof your safety, your passengers and other road users I would strongly recommend you get the car fixed to the proper standard. Should you have an accident in the future and your insurers don't pay up - it will be every law abiding driver who has to cough up - never mind the tax-payers.
As a matter of interest how did the thieves get your car away as most modern cars are very difficult to steal.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome