Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - First time Clio owner

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 20th August 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Just another update for you:

The car passed it's MOT, needed a number plate & a brake pipe was marginal just after plastic protection cover to the rear as well, so I got both replaced.

Cam belt, tensioner & alternator belt are done, these were fairly straightforward, though no-one tells you to adjust the tensioner by rotating anti-clockwise. (I found out the hard way when trying to replace the middle timing belt cover)

The car was also a bit tappety, so I decided to check / adjust these at the same time. Having reassembled once & found the problem remained, and was perhaps even worse I have just done the job again, but removed the rocker shafts to inspect as well.

The contact points with the valves had worn into a figure of 8 pattern, evidenced by being shiny, but there was no real wear. I reassembled & consequently had to reset all gaps due to the marginal difference in the position of the rocker shaft. I rechecked the gaps a second time & reassembled the engine & the tappets were quiet.

Note for people checking the tappets themselves: - don't read the Haynes manual, you don't need to disconnect any fuel lines.

Simply undo the 6 inlet manifold bolts on the head, two on the top, three from the air flap, disconnect the connections to the air cleaner & the hose from the cleaner to the air flap, remove te air cleaner & about half a dozen electrical connections followed by the 11 rocker cover bolts . - It's probably only 20 minutes work when you've done it once.

All in all, the Clio 1.2 seems really easy to work on.
Currently in 937carrera's garage:
1996 Clio 1.2RL (D7F)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome