Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st August 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED*

Hi folks

I thought I'd take some time to tell you about the above job, which I have carried out on my 98 Megane Scenic. From when I purchased the car in Nov 06, it has had a bit of an oil leak, which got progressively worse as time went on. After a long journey, the car became pretty poorly with erratic temperature readings & water levels dropping drastically so I decided to get the head gasket replaced after diagnosis from a local garage...

Purchased all the kit I needed along with a new cam & alternator belt (100ish) & over a weekend with great help from my Father (cheers pop), we completed the job.

After getting everything back together the radiator decided it had had enough too! Apparently because the engine was now running at full pressure, the radiator became the weak point in the water system & blew a nice leak... A replacement was sourced @ 65(cheaper than a recore!) & no further leaks have been recorded.

After doing this job the following points have been observed:
  • No more horrible oily fumes entering the cab through air vents
  • Coolant level is static & staying clear (no oil)
  • Annoying noises from the heating fan have stopped
  • Heating/cooling now functioning properly
  • No more smoke from under the bonnet from oil burning on engine casing & exhaust
  • Cured annoying 'hiss' from rear of engine near the fuel rail

I've looked underneath a few Megane scenics since & they all seem to have oil leak symptoms similar to what I had. Is this a common (head gasket) problem on this car?

I've probably saved myself in the region of 800-1000 (judging on quotes I got) in doing these jobs myself & the engine is now dry & a lot happier! If you have a basic knowledge of what your doing & the correct tools but your not sure if you should, I'd say go for it as it's not as daunting as I first thought...

One tip I would like to mention is that since vosa have started the online MOT database you can check what a vehicle has failed MOT's on & also any advisories recorded at the time. I looked at mine & 'engine oil leak' was indeed recorded on previous MOT to my purchase Teach me to look before I leap in future if nothing else!

I hope that someone may take some tips from all this & thanks for reading
Currently in subversion's garage:
1998(R) Renault Megane Scenic 1.6RT
  5 Lastest Threads by subversion
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Plug lead order for Mk I Scenic... Engines subversion 5 3308 4th October 2010 05:25 PM
Renault Scenic 1 - Head Gasket Replacement*FIXED* Scenic Bob925 55 22625 21st August 2007 01:17 PM
Pointing the way... Feedback & Announcements subversion 3 1427 30th January 2007 11:33 AM
Megane Scenic heater noise Heating & cooling thecorner 8 4008 24th January 2007 10:27 AM
Renault Scenic - 'Oil level' dash indicator Electronics subversion 2 2346 22nd January 2007 08:58 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome