Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Scenic II - Start up noise

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd August 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault - Scenic II - Start up noise

Hello all

My first post to this forum, so apologies if these are daft questions. Two of the following are potential warranty issues, so I'd be grateful for any thoughts supporting whether I ought to take it back. The third is just weird.

My car is an 05 Scenic 2 with the 1.6VVT petrol engine; it's still under warranty. I've actually had it about a year and in general I'm very pleased. However the items below are the proverbial fly in the ointment, and are starting to get infuriating.

First problem is with starting. It's always started - so far. But occasionally, around every fourth or fifth time, just after the engine's fired, there is a horrendous clattering noise. Anyone else within earshot turns and looks. It's like something is banging against some rotating part of the engine. After a couple of seconds of this, the clattering dies away, and all is sweetness again. Is this anything to worry about, or might it be an indication of impending failure of something vital ?

Second problem is with the paintwork. The colour is metallic blue (can't remember what Renault call it). But, boy, does it show fingermarks ! As soon as the kids touch it (and it is supposed to be a family car), you get hand and finger prints that need polishing (not washing) to remove them. It's like the finger marks get etched into the paint somehow. I've never had any other car that shows finger marks like this, and I don't see any others (including Scenics) driving around looking like this. Could the paintwork be faulty in some way ? Or am I supposed to polish it every week (sorry, life's too short !).

Now the weird one. The car has auto windscreen wipers, ie, when you put the stalk into the intermittent position, by some magic the wipers only work when there's water on the screen. But the stalk also has a ring which, according to the handbook, should vary the speed of intermittent wiping. I cannot for the life of me understand what this control does - it seems to have no visible effect on the performance of the wipers. If it rains more, then the auto system varies the wipe speed. Does this control actually do anything ?

All thoughts gratefully received, thanks.
  5 Lastest Threads by ColinB
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Scenic 2 Wiper Fault Electronics ColinB 0 928 15th September 2013 07:10 PM
Scenic 2 (05) Tailgate Struts Bodywork colin324 1 765 7th January 2013 06:42 PM
Scenic 2: how to change front fog bulb ? Electronics congoblue 8 6635 22nd April 2012 05:58 PM
Scenic Air-Con Pipe Corrosion Heating & cooling 2 2055 18th April 2011 09:55 PM
Scenic 2: where's the heater fan/blower ? Heating & cooling madnoel10 1 1429 11th June 2010 04:56 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome