Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic RX4 - Poor Brakes

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 24th August 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Scenic RX4 - Poor Brakes

We used to have a 2001 RX4 a couple of years ago, it was a 2.0 petrol model.

And since joining this forum ive never seen anything about the brakes on them cropping up.

The brakes on ours were really very bad indeed, they just didnt stop the car!

They were fine under normal use but a few times they narrowly missed causing an accident when in an emergency situation they just wouldnt stop as quick as i thought it should.

When brakeing as hard as it could the pedal went down to a metalic stop and it would go no further.

We had it back to Renault so many times as we thought there must be a problem. But the dealer said they are normal and the system was bled and they were no different.

So we even came to stopping people with RX4s and asking if we could try their car and they try ours!

They were all the same, poor brakes.

We came to the conclusion that Renault hadent upgraded the brakes from the standard front wheel drive scenics.

However, someone at work had a 1.9DCi RX4 and the brakes on that were perfect and also on other 1.9s.

Someone else i know with was involved in a serious accident when a car went into the back of him, a Scenic RX4! the driver said he just couldnt stop in time.

So one day we were driving along and the lights tuned to red, so i had to brake hard, the car flew past the lights and didnt stop in time.

After this i tried something. You could drive to about 20MPH in 2nd gear, floor the throttle and stamp on the brakes at the same time, and it would be accelerating

So the next day it was traded in for a 6 month old Megane, which we didnt get along with, so 2 weeks later that was traded in for a 6 months old Scenic 2 1.9DCi.

I was just wondering if any other Rx4 drivers have had any similar experiences?
  5 Lastest Threads by cardaft
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Hi, new member looking for a Laguna 2. Engines keith price 16 2266 13th February 2009 10:04 AM
Renault Scenic RX4 - Poor Brakes Brakes/Hubs 10 3346 24th August 2007 08:51 PM
How long do your tyres last? Wheels & tyres strawberry 10 2898 2nd May 2007 07:51 PM
Hello Welcome to RenaultForums ottoman 3 732 2nd May 2007 07:36 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome