Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Grand Scenic - recurring problems?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 5th May 2015
Honorary Yorkshireman just in Derbyshire
Nominated 19 Times in 15 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 4
Thanked 1,687 Times in 1,290 Posts
Re: Grand Scenic - recurring problems?

Originally Posted by bdw View Post

I'm thinking of buying a 8-10 year old 1.6 petrol Grand Scenic as I sometimes need a 7-seater.

I've been very put off by the endless reports of electrical/electronic problems. My main question is are these one-time problems (so that once they're fixed that's it) or are they likely to reoccur and give me grief every six months?

Endless reports, yes but as a proportion of those sold. People only come here to whine about their faults. When did you ever read praise about anything on the Internet??
When buying,
1) Ensure the footwells are dry, particularly front Passenger.
2) Check that ALL windows & Sunroof work.
3) Check history for CamBelt & Waterpump replacement, 5 years, 70K Miles.
4) Check BOTH keycards work & the emergency key.
5) No dashboard nags esp EPB, ABS, Airbag.

Sogginess is the main Scenic killer, rotting wires under the seat, hence No 1).
Do the scuttle drains as soon as you get it.

I'm on my 4th Scenic, 1 Clutch, 3 Cambelts, 1 Alternator, 20K per year. Serviced every 9K Miles.
Still happy. Most whingeing comes from those who bought a nail without asking (unlike you) what to check. Then when the answer is expensive, it's not their fault, it's a cr4p Renault. Still with that reputation repeated a few times, You & I can buy good cars cheaply.
Other "experts" will be along soon.

Regards Tim,
You are only young once, but you can be immature forever
Give a n00b the answer he will be learn for a day; show him the search button, he will learn for life.
Currently in Nottnoc's garage:
2008 Scenic Mk2 Dynamique 1.6 K4M 782. 1998 BMW K1100LTSE, 1994 MotoGuzzi Caifornia 3 LAPD, 1972 Norton Commando, 2010 Trafic SL29 M9R782 115, Lots of tools, Camping Gear & Booze
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome