Independent Renault Forums banner

Warranty issue

4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  pmclau10 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
This is my first post and just a quick enquiry I hope someone can help with. My 54 plate clio failed its first MOT yesterday:mad: due to a fractured front suspension coil, so I'm off to my useless renault dealer tomorrow to see about getting it fixed. Can anyone confirm that this should be done under warranty? (isn't 3 years old until next saturday) From past experience i'm inclined to think they will try to say it isn't.
Thanks

#2 ·
Hi there and welcome to Renault Forums, I'm sure one of our other members will advise you soon but I would stand your ground as there is no way this should happen after such a short time, this also seems a common problem with Laguna II models. Obviously shocks will deteriorate after time as they are gas or oil filled and have seals which can eventually leak but in my opinion springs should not break or split.
Regards Leroy

#3 ·
Be prepared for the dealer to suggest that this is the result of impact damage (i.e. kerb or pothole/speed bump). You need to use the fact that your other spring is in good shape after the same mileage (therefore its had the same wear & tear), and that this is the result of a manufacturing defect. If your wheels/tyres are in good shape, this will lend extra weight to your arguement.

I hope they don't put up a fight, as this will be a difficult one to prove either way.

Paul:)

#4 ·
Thanks, the manufacturing defect should stand up well as i had to have a rear suspension spring replaced when found to be fractured at first service (18k miles). At first they asked if it had happened due to an impact with anything, but relented and replaced FOC. I am concerned in case they put up more of a fight this time because, if i am correct, renault pick up the tab for the first 2 years/36k miles and the dealer picks it up in the 3rd year, therefore giving the dealer more incentive to fob me off this time.

#5 · (Edited)
Well, I used to work in an out-of-warranty claims department for Ford, and unless the block exemption rules have changed over the last couple of years, the way I read it is, the manufacturer covers the first period of the warranty, and the remainder is conditional upon the service schedule being adhered to.

What are you being quoted for the spring (plus fitting) by the mot establishment? I believe its recommended that they are replaced as pairs.

#6 ·
MOT establishment (arnold clark) didn't give a quote, but the MOT was finished about 10 mins before they closed (half day saturday). Just advised about paying 1/2 of MOT price for re-test within 10 days, but to be honest they were probably too busy trying to get finished for the weekend to quote for the work. Interesting that you say they should be replaced in pairs, as only the fractured rear spring was replaced by dealer (after 1st service), and not the other one!

#7 ·
Well, I believe its accepted good practice to replace both sides, same as with brake pads/discs, shock absorbers (to name a few), its because these item's performance changes over mile(age), then any difference between old & new will affect the car's overall stability/behaviour under emergency scenarios.

It's possible that due to the early failure, it was deemed that the opposing side's performance had not deteriorated to a noticeable level.

Hope it all works out though - make sure you speak to the relevant party - not just the first person you see behind the desk.

#8 ·
Thanks for your advice Paul, I actually passed one of the service staff from my dealer in town yesterday ( about 30 mins after MOT failure) and, by the look on her face, I think she remembers me from the last time we "spoke" ( about 10 months ago). On that occassion I spent about an hour arguing with the service manager. I feel as though round two may be coming on tomorrow morning...
I was hoping that someone could confirm that this either IS or IS NOT covered under waranty at the 3 year mark, but i'll update tomorrow to let you know how I get on. Thanks again ,Paul (Yes, thats my name as well)

#9 ·
Well, the short answer is that it should be covered against failure due to manufacturing or material defect (or as consequential damage from another item failing for the same reason). It won't be covered for any other reason.

All the best Paul, and please keep us posted.

#10 ·
Thanks (again). If I dont get the answers I want tomorrow morning, I may just employ the same tactic I used in the past.... turn up 5 mins before the service dept closes for the day (or even better, for the weekend) and make it quite clear I am prepared to argue my case for HOURS if necessary! Wish me luck, I shall post back again tomorrow.

#11 ·
Went to dealer this morning, they checked it out and are replacing it under warranty:) Strange thing is, they say my NS if fine and OS is broken, while MOT tester said opposite. ??? They also tried to add on jobs such as brake discs being severely worn (MOT advisory note did said they were slightly worn) and brake pads severely worn (not mentioned at MOT). Main thing is that the spring is being replaced FOC.

#12 ·
Can i just ask a couple of questions?
You said you went to the Renault garage this morning(27/8)?
What Renault service department is open on a bank holiday???
Also the chances of having the correct spring in stock with the correct paint colour options in VERY slim?
And lastly they replaced your spring there and then,we have a 2 week booking time at the moment?
MIGHT be possible but seems TO helpful for a main fanchaise.....

#13 ·
Hi Safrane - stop being so cynical - it depends on what part of the UK you are in. Whilst today was a bank holiday it is not a public holiday and many of use poor workers have no choice in the matter. Employees in the UK have no statutory right to many of the bank holidays - maybe it the same as putting oil in your intercooler.:confused:

Any decent Renault agent wil have plenty of replacement coil springs simply cos they fail on a regular basis.

#17 ·
Hi safrane,
In answer to your questions:
1.I live in Scotland (as suggested by zinx). Our August bank holiday was at the start of the month.
2.They didn't have the part in stock, but checked to see which one to order.
3.They didn't replace it there and then ( I never said that they did)
4.It is being replaced tomorrow morning. There is no way I would be prepared to wait 2 weeks for them to do it, and would be surprised if anyone would let them away wih such slow service.
By the way, what made you think I was from Ireland?

#18 ·
I was told sometime back by a stealer that if any item on their cars fail with a frequency of => 4 times per month, they become a stock item, if the failure rate is < than 4 a month, it isn't a stock item.

My conclusion. The folding stuff is more important than the odd 2 or 3 customers

#19 ·
They guy on the service desk at my dealer asked the parts manager about which spring would be needed and he said there were "loads of different ones" and that they would need to put the car up on the ramps to check what colour they were. Probably dont hold them in stock due to the number of different springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.