Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Head gasket problems - a "musing"...

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 27th August 2007 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Head gasket problems - a "musing"...

Hello all.

Maybe its just my bank holiday beer-clouded mind, or some other random thought process going on, but I have been thinking (and in the pub earlier, talking about) cylinder heads and cylinder head gaskets.

Now these cheeky little chappies (the gaskets I mean!) can be a wee bit troublesome. A couple of examples are the Renault Megane mk1 1.6 8v engine, Rover K-Series and I'm sure theres plenty more. One thing is for sure - those engines don't like them gaskets much!

OK, now I'm rambling on. The point I was trying to convey in the pub (and, err, now!) is why don't the car manufacturers produce a one piece engine? That is, head and block as a unit? Surely in this "day and age" it is possible? Theres no real reason for the two to be seperate is there? After all, the crank is bolted on from below, so the pistons could be introduced to the block from below. A clever machining, err, machine could both cut the bores and machine then the combustion chambers. The valve guides could be machined from above. Surely all feasible.

Unless I've missed some really obvious technical problems with this (quite quite possible, I know!) it seems like a really good idea. And the point to this ramble of course... No head gasket problems!

OK I've had my musing/rambling, maybe I should cart myself off to bed now and leave you all in peace. Thanks for reading if you have gotten this far!

Currently in Bob925's garage:
2015 '65 Vauxhall Astra SRi, and a variety of "lovely" buses
  5 Lastest Threads by Bob925
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
What on earth!? My mottah! Bob925 20 1730 16th July 2015 11:24 PM
Old member, new(er) car (and It's a bloomin Ford) My mottah! TacoMannerism 16 2578 25th May 2014 09:41 PM
Wheeler Dealers Alpine A310 General Chat d'espace between my ears 4 4749 14th April 2012 11:17 PM
Car Engines "101" YouTube Bob925 0 1441 29th July 2011 12:21 AM
The sound of the internal combustion engine General Chat Ralph 18 2914 3rd July 2011 11:14 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome