Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Laguna - Roof Rails not bars

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 6th September 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Roof rails (running front to rear)? I doubt it, though maybe one of the car customising places has thought to do them. I don't fancy the idea of drilling into the roof though, which is going to be necessary if you want to fit rails on the hatch.

Roof bars (running side to side)? No problem: I have a set for mine and they work fine with a roof box. Don't naturally assume that the dealer will be the most expensive option either - my bars were from Renault, and they were a lot cheaper than anything that Halfords had to offer.

We have a Mont Blanc 450 roof box (I think that's the model.) I worked it out, and it basically gives you another boot's worth of extra load space. I find that there's plenty of room for the caravan awning, poles, blow-up sofa bed, the baby's buggy and loads of other stuff in there, so it should suit you down to the ground for camping. The whole lot (including the roof bars) should cost you less than just having a towbar fitted, let alone buying a trailer. You also won't be limited to 50/60mph and banned from the outside lane of the motorway as you are when towing.

I prefer to secure the roof box with two heavy-duty ratchet tie-downs as well as the locking mechanism. It's very tempting to overload these things (I know I do) and put a lot of strain on the locking mechanism. I've seen them burst open on the motorway more than once.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 6th September 2007 at 10:09 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome