Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!

View Single Post
post #52 of (permalink) Old 12th June 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Clio 1.4 8v - Info on starting problems - HELPFUL!

Hi guys..

Ive got a clio 1.2 and have been recently having starting up problems, sometimes engine turns over but wont fire, sometimes fires up and then cuts out 2 seconds later, and other times fires up right away!

Any way this is what I found out and it works for me for the mean time and hopefully works for some of you

If you put your key in the ignition and the red flashing light is still flashing, then there is an immobiliser problem.

What I do is this -

Turn key to ignition so the dash lights up. If the red light stops flashing then your car will start up.

Whilst in ignition, press and hold the button on your key, and whilst holding it, turn it to position one, and back into ignition, and the red light should stay red for a few seconds and then go out. When the red light has stopped flashing and gone out, that is when your clio should start up!

I have also read that some of you use a spare key and there have been no problems, I dont have a spare key but would definitely consider getting one instead of forking out hundreds!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome