Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Laguna II - Front springs broken

View Single Post
post #31 of (permalink) Old 12th June 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Laguna II - Front springs broken

I have just put 2 new struts on which is basically the same as a spring change. It was not that easy the bolts holding the strut to the hub were a sod, bent a T bar snapped a short 1/2 inch extension, hired a good impact wrench (no good) finally undid them using a blow lamp and a good quality breaker bar. Be careful with the blow lamp a lot of the laguna is plastic and there are brake pipes and ABS wiring about. Second prob is the drop links to the anti roll bar, how the hell are you meant to stop the threaded shaft turning using an allen key when its taking all your strength to turn the ring spanner on the rusty thread (yes I soaked them in WD40 earlier). Solution look on E Bay to discover the links are 10 for two inc post so I cut them off with an angle grinder. Lastly compressing the springs unless you have a very good spring compressor D'ONT I tried and one spring compressor slipped and flew off at a rate of knots, I was once told that the energy in a compressed spring is equal to a hand grenade and I believe it, you will also need a slim deep socket to undo the nut which I did not have. I got a local garage (friend of a friend job) to remove the springs and put them on the new struts it took them less than 30 min and charged 10 wot a result, I would gladly have paid double. So bit of a pig to do, would I do it again you bet, the feeling when you beat the B******D is great.
Currently in deepfat's garage:
Laguna 1.9 DCI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome