Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II - Voice Synthesizer

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 29th January 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I liked the voice synth: My first three Lagunas all had it, and I miss it on the current one. I never found it irritating, liked the verbal 'fuel level low' warning, and it even saved me an engine on one car when it told me that it was overheating after a rather sudden but not so obvious loss of coolant.

Whether it's retro-fittable is a different matter. Reading other threads, there are various similar looking but incompatible instrument clusters for the L2, and as the speech system is obviously linked to the iconic display, this could prove to be a major hurdle. I know that the cluster changed at least subtly at around the time that the voice went because the Renault logo disappeared from the iconic display, and you became able to see your tyre pressures while driving. If they are two incompatible clusters, then you're snookered.

Other than that, the only problem I can see is where to put the switch (all three positions are used on the Initiale for ESP override, reversing sensor override and the cruise/limiter switch.) I'm not sure how this was handled on earlier models with the voice synth - I assume that one of the other buttons wasn't present.

The speaker is just to the right of the steering column at the bottom of the dash (it has been replaced with the electronic parking brake handle on the current ones.) This should still be present on the 03 model, but is reserved for the factory hands-free kit. If you have one of these fitted, then you may have to make alternative plans for the speaker.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome