Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 08 Scenic tailgate lock issue solved.

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 17th June 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: 08 Scenic tailgate lock issue solved.

Originally Posted by Raynult View Post
Scenario - 2008 scenic tailgate doesn't open. Click on the Open car or open tailgate buttons on your keycard, you can hear that the tailgate motor is doing something but you still can't open the tailgate.

Resolution. - Its worth noting, I've got bits and bobs from this forum and the instruction manual but here it is all in one place.

1) To open the tail gate. Roll one of the rear passenger seats forward and climb in. Look at the tailgate lock mechanism. You should see an opening in the top of the mechanism cover about the size of a large jelly bean. Push a screwdriver into the right hand end on the opening and push the mechanisim inside over to the left. This should release the tailgate. Push the tailgate out or climb back out and lift the gate as normal.

2) Look at the locking mechanism, its covered in a plastic shroud. On the each end of this shroud, you should see a small plastic locking tongue, just prise the tounges out with a small/electrical screwdriver, both ends, and the cover should come away in your hand.

3) Checking the locking mechanism, you'll see there are two torx (t30) bolts holding it in place. Undo these and the mechanism should come out, with a little teasing, with an electrical connection in place. Now if a little teasing doesn't bring the mechanism out, undo the two torx (t20) inside the hand grips for the tailgate cover and gently prise the internal tailgate card off at the bottom. This should give you enough working space to extract the tailgate locking mechanism and disconnect the electrical contact.

4) Now my tailgate lock required replacing, a small plastic lug had broken off from inside, but yours may just need a bit of tlc/wd40 etc.

5) I've no idea how much a replacment will cost, I've got one off ebay for 20. Alternatives include Renault, ebay, and all those 24/7 scrappy websites as well as your local scrap merchant. I hope this helps.
Hi, I have a 2005 Scenic2. The tailgate does not open when I push the button on it, I hear the solenoid click but nothing happens. The light on the dash tells me that the tailgate is open so I cannot even lock the car up.
I have tried to find this manual mechanism that unlocks it from the inside, you say that there is an opening the size of a jellybean, I find that but there is nothing inside to slide to open it. Only a small fragile looking V shaped piece of plastic that does not seem to be connected to any mechanism. Is this the piece that you were pushing to the left? My car does not have a motor that u talk about so perhaps it's not possible that I can open mine from the inside?
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome