Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Temp Gauge Problem

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th September 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Angry Temp Gauge Problem

Dear All,

I need a second (or more) opinion on this:
my clio (98-S, 8-valve 1.4 RT) has been having starting problems for a while. Would be ok after a longish journey for a few days but seemed to suffer after short journeys, starter motor would turn but not catch. battery charge and terminals were ok, could bump start it easily.

It's been into the garage to sort out something else and i was hoping the guy could fix the starting at the same time. He didn't actually do anything re. the starting problem but the fault seems (only a couple of days since) to have gone away. Problem is that the temp readout on the dash is now not working.

To me (after reading through the message boards) this sounds like the coolant temp sensor is knackered which i like the sound of cos it looks easy and cheap to sort out.

I have checked that there is a voltage coming through to the sensor (12 to 13+V, depending on whether the engine is on or not) and tried earthing the wire to the sensor - according to haynes the needle should go from fully off to fully on when i do this but no luck. however, this did trigger the temperature warning light which i suppose is some good news.

have just been into my local renault dealer to talk it through and the guy says the sensor goes via the ECU (which is correct according to haynes) which may be screwed and that i need to put it in for them to run diagnostics. i have no money and don't want to pay 50 quid for them to plug something into it for 30 seconds! has anyone any suggestions?

I'm going to go out and check the connections to the dash but i'd have expected more failures if that weree the problem.

Cheers in advance!

Currently in Guy_5's garage:
56 Clio 1.4 Dynamique
  5 Lastest Threads by Guy_5
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Temp Gauge Problem Cars & motoring yozzer 3 1030 14th September 2007 12:44 PM
Clio speedo problem info Electronics chris m 1 1026 13th February 2007 04:49 PM
Hi Welcome to RenaultForums chris m 6 942 2nd February 2007 04:14 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome