Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 2006 Modus Caliper / Shim rattle.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 6th July 2015 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
2006 Modus Caliper / Shim rattle.

I've noticed a faint rattle coming from the front drivers wheel over the past while and on driving on some really uneven roads last week the rattle became really loud. So much so that I thought something under the hood was loose.

I called my breakdown to check it out and whilst the mechanic first thought it was the ball joint or something related, he in fact found it was an issue with the Caliper rattling. Before I take it into a garage to sort it, I was looking for a bit of clarity.

The breakdown mechanic has said that neither of the front brakes have shims, and I recently just had both pads and discs replaced. However when speaking to my mechanic who changed the pads and discs, he's said that normally Renaults don't use shims.

Anyone have any idea as to what would cause and would would fix the rattle? The shims are missing on both sides, but the rattle only from the drivers. From what I can see, replacing the Caliper would cost about £200 if that's what's gone.

I'm a bit of a car rookie, so any simple advice would be much appreciated! Cheers!
Currently in glasgowdan's garage:
Renault Modus Oasis 1.2
  5 Lastest Threads by glasgowdan
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
2006 Modus Caliper / Shim rattle. Brakes/Hubs lancs dave 5 650 6th July 2015 03:15 PM
Modus Clanging Sound Steering and Suspension daveyboy58 3 577 19th January 2015 09:08 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome