Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - 1998 Grand Espace RXE Boot Door LOCK!

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 31st January 2006 Thread Starter
Shaun wall
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
1998 Grand Espace RXE Boot Door LOCK!

Following Selwonk's advice on putting in How-To's ............

I think the back end of a Grand Espace RXE may be different from a not-so- Grand Espace RXE (if indeed there is such a thing!) and the RXE may be different from OTHER Espaces, Grand or not so Grand of 1998 vintage.

Having made it clear what we are talking about as it says in the heading ...

Some weeks ago, right out of the blue, I suddenly couldn't open the back door. It was in for its MOT that day and the examiner said he HAD to open the door as part of the test, when I told him as I left it to him.

When I came to collect it, he gave me a pass cert. I was so taken aback I forgot to ask how he opened the door. I went home and forgot about it 'til a fortnight later when again, out of the blue, it would not open. Nor did it for a fortnight. Then one day when I tried it, it opened! I was in a car-park of course and when I got it home, it would not open, of course.

I figured it was a sporadic fault. I called my local Renault garage (Essex-ish) who could not book it in for ten days and would charge 'a minimum of 50 just to LOOK at the problem'. They admitted to having never previously done any work on a boot door lock on a Grand Espace 1998,

and I thought to myself

"With 50 on the counter. just to LOOK at it, and absolutely no guarantee they could fix it, there's no way they are getting my car. Especially after what I read every week in RenaultForums. They obviously havem't a clue what they are doing. I'll go to France with it if I have to" (I'm a foreigner myself, by the way! Well! Irish! But that's the same thing! Isn't it?

Pure luck intervened. I reckoned I would keep trying , every day, to open the door no matter what else I did. I knew if I could get the door OPEN I could dismantle it. Yesterday was that day. I clicked the finger grip and "Hey! Presto!" The door opened, AND I was home in my own drive. I pulled a heavy rug over the jamb so it COULDN'T lock again, cancelled ALL appointments and spent today taking off the back door interior panel.

I got at the lock and found the problem in minutes. I also know how to fix it and it will cost me almost nothing. Don't ask me what a new lock costs. Probably 500? I can work VERY hard for that kind of spondulicks.

There is no point of describing how that panel came off. UNLESS there is somone out there who NEEDS to know. But it took me four hours and I was a mechanic for 30 years. There're so many hidden pit-falls. If you NEED to know and pursue this thread it will come up on my computer and I will share with great relish how to take the interior panel off a Grand Espace back door!

Howzat for an offer?
Currently in Shaun wall's garage:
98 Grand Espace RXE 2.2G8T mit leather and air-con
  5 Lastest Threads by Shaun wall
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Grand Espace RXE2.2 hazards and Indicators Electronics Shaun wall 2 1757 15th June 2009 10:21 PM
Espace diesel glow plugs J8S engine buy/fit Engines Shaun wall 5 4261 15th September 2006 08:51 PM
tech data for 98+ espace Cars & motoring leroy 4 1488 1st April 2006 08:57 PM
1998 Espace RXE back door lock Bodywork Shaun wall 3 2011 8th February 2006 03:22 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome