Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Electronics - Sat-Nav problem - member feedback req'd

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 1st February 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
These things have been known to just 'crash', so make sure that you have your radio code and then try leaving the battery unhooked overnight. If you prefer not to disconnect the battery, then removing the fuse might do the trick. I'm not sure which one it is, but my money's on the one that's hidden under the ashtray.

If that doesn't work, then check the remaining wiring. I've never been sure where the antenna feed comes into the original Carminat system, so I'd check the wiring to the rear of both the navigation unit (in the bottom of the glovebox) and the control panel (above the stereo.) The latter definitely has an antenna feed to it, though it may be the RF input for the TMC service rather than the GPS antenna. You'll need stereo removal keys to get the control panel out of the dash, and a fairly stubby T20 torx screwdriver to remove the glovebox lining and get at the navigation computer (unless you want to try to get at it from the passenger footwell.)

If all else fails and you're faced with a huge bill, then consider a TomTom One. The GPS receiver is a lot more sensitive than the old GO range, and so it doesn't have a problem with the coated windscreen. As for the functionality, once you've played with TomTom you'll realise just how clunky and dated the original Carminat system is. You'll never want to go back.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome