Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - High mileage used cars - good buy or not?

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 17th July 2015
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: High mileage used cars - good buy or not?

Personally I would be wary of a garage selling cars who also have their own MOT testing facility as there is always a risk of the car sales end of the business influencing the MOT side.

A current MOT is no guide to quality or reliablity. The public have been brainwashed into thinking an MOT and service history is a good guide to judging the condirion of a car. In my experience nothing is further from the truth.

Also when it comes to high mileage don't just consider the engine aspect as all the running and suspension and tramsmision gear will have suffered wear and tear. Also claims that the car has done mostly motorway mileage is a bonus. That doesn't mean it hasn't been thrashed within an inch of it's life every day.

If you have doubts about your ability to judge a car it would be well worth spending a few quid on taking a reputable mechanic or mate with some experince with you.

I remember a mate of mine who had more or less commited himself to buying a second hand car and he asked me to give it a look over before he parted with his hard earned cash. On inspection I found it to be a Cat C car which had been poorly repaired and painted. I advised him to walk away pronto.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
The Following User Says Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
funkin79 (18th July 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome