Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - High mileage used cars - good buy or not?

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 17th July 2015
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: High mileage used cars - good buy or not?

Get as much history as possible, mechanically check what you can and as madnoel said take somebody with you and go with your gut feeling.
Cars don't work out econonmical to me I dont think, but I need one. I work 56 miles away from home but I live only three miles from the motorway and the office is less than a mile from the motorway. So over a 100 miles a day soon adds up and eventually sky high mileage on the car before I can afford to buy another one.
So my car is honest in saying its mileage is motorway driving and my working hours also mean that it is done off peak so no stopping and starting etc. I keep my car in top condition and fully serviced etc no expense spared and I keep every reciept etc.
So, I can honestly say my car is sound even though it has high mileage but when I come to sell it I know people will turn away from it because of the numbers on the clock. Who ever ended up getting my Vel Satis after I px'd it will have got a bargain.
So as I said try and get as much info as possible and as has already been said dont trust too much a garage that has a test station attached. I know of a car that needed a new steering rack and had loads of play in the steering wheel. The person selling the car was in business with the test station and he sat in the car when it was being tested and it was him who did any movement to do with the steering wheel so it hid the issues. The car past its test and then went up for sale with 12months on
Currently in VEL SATISfied's garage:
Renault Laguna Sport Tourer GT Line Tomton 2.0Dci
The Following User Says Thank You to VEL SATISfied For This Useful Post:
funkin79 (18th July 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome