Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Hub nut / axle nut stuck - Tried almost everything

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st July 2015 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Angry Hub nut / axle nut stuck - Tried almost everything

Hi guys im in the process of fixing an ABS light fault on my clio. I think a bit of rust got onto the sensor. Thought it would be a simple job of taking the wheel hub off so I can get to the cable which is attached to the bearing.

Now my only problem is that this things stuck on quite hard. Im not used to seeing hubnuts looking like this there normally a solid nut with an indentation that you just pop out and turn. Of course there on tight but yeah they normally pop off with a bit of weight.

Now this one won't turn at all I first tried a normal breaker bar with the wheel on the ground like I normally do. Nothing

I then tried soaking it in wd40 and trying again... nothing

I then tried freezing it and heating it.... again nothing

I then tried a method where you get an extension bar attach to your socket. Then jack it up to keep the thing in place whilst you "jump" on the breaker bar. Oh I did feel something turn but it wasn't a satisfying crack... oh no it was the extension bar metal turning. I had actually twisted the metal on the extension bar and it had snapped off... clean off!

So yeah... kinda stuck I thought about cutting it off but I have to get 3 of these off on this one.... so id rather find a method to get it off.

Here is a picture below of the hub nut. Ive even thought that the 4 hands on the valves might be the things holding it down. They don't budge. Im guessing you require new nuts on this one if im having such a bloody hard time getting one off....

any help would be great. I don't have access to an impact gun or air compressor.
Currently in dami3n's garage:
Renault clio ripcurl 07
  5 Lastest Threads by dami3n
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Key Stuck In Ignition Barrel - Any help/MOT Fail? Electronics Dancingdad 7 342 14th August 2016 12:42 PM
Radiator Cooling fan Only comes on during AC Dead... Heating & cooling dami3n 0 394 3rd August 2015 11:09 PM
ABS Light on - Can't find problem Renault Clio Brakes/Hubs ours2012 7 662 25th July 2015 04:49 PM
Hub nut / axle nut stuck - Tried almost everything Brakes/Hubs Phil C 16 1471 21st July 2015 05:17 PM
Engine Misfires, P0300, P0303, P0304 Keeps... Engines dami3n 17 1823 4th July 2015 10:13 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome