Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace Mk3 2.2 dT (1998) immobiliser? probs

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 22nd September 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Espace Mk3 2.2 dT (1998) immobiliser? probs

Hello to all, 1st post, though info off the forum has already been useful!

My tale of woe starts with stopping espace everything working leaving vehicle unlocked immobiliser off, returning in less than a minute, turn the key through start sequence glow plugs etc works o.k given final turn of key and screen went blank. Horrible beeping noise from centre of dash. Immobiliser light in roof out central locking out nothing electrical would operate. Having just had similar probs with a pug 406 hdi i tried what had been suggested there which i believe is called a soft boot. That is turn on side lights and turn ignition key to 1st position, not accessories, wait and pray. Sure enough the display came back to life and i could get the panel to work up until actually starting the engine when everything died. Again from the pug problem the main culprit for immobiliser problems, if this is what it is, stems from the 'aerial' attached around where the ignition key fits in. Having nothing better to do and i wasn't going anywhere in a hurry i took off the ignition cowl and was met by a rats nest of copper wire around the ignition lock from the aerial which had self destructed and presumably shorted out. Try all the local scrappies for one, no mk 3 espaces they go on forever,good, to a scrappie from away, we don't keep bits like those, bad. Anyway had to resort to main dealer for new aerial, 76, decidedly bad. (The pug one cost 14, didn't work ). Minutes to install and lo starts 1st time on the key. Put cowl back. End of story.
3 days later same again everything electrical dead, soft boot works. Engine starts.
Next day dead again, soft boot gives electrics back, lights come on central locking works etc but when trying to turn engine over electrics die.
What i want to know is
1. is this an immobiliser fault, is there a seperate immobiliser
2. does this mk and year espace have a Bii and if so where have they hidden it, its not in the passenger foot well fuse box area i've looked. All fuses checked and well. And if it doesn't have one why does the soft boot work.
3. could the key, ir plip, somehow have come out of sequence with the immobiliser and can this be reprogrammed by dealer without vehicle being present.
helpfully the key doesn't have the 6 digit code written on the printed circuit board. the roof ir detector and board are in good order.
4. does all this point to a problem with the ecu not recognising the key and not being able to do a handshake to turn off the immobiliser. I had to get the chip on the pugs ecu wiped so in effect any key will work with it but the chap who did this can only do certain types of bosch ecu which doesn't appear to be fitted to this espace, anyone know who can do this with a renault ecu . The pug cost 270 to get sorted this included a visit to a main dealer, not a clue, can we keep it all day and mess about at 50 an hour+ parts, no you can't and countless hours ringing and travelling all for an immobilser which has done nothing but immobilise me. i don't want to go there again.
Any assistance gratefully received. I've already checked all the previous posts for solutions but none seem to hit this one on the head
  5 Lastest Threads by Espaced
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Espace Mk3 2.2 dT (1998) immobiliser? probs Electronics mr espace 7 2526 22nd September 2007 02:29 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome