Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Laguna II - Front springs broken

View Single Post
post #33 of (permalink) Old 28th July 2015
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Nominated 27 Times in 25 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Thanked 1,793 Times in 1,372 Posts
Re: Renault - Laguna II - Front springs broken

Originally Posted by mika900 View Post
I've been reading a lot about these springs going on the Laguna. My Laguna doesn't get used much and is therefore sitting on the drive for days/weeks at a time. From what I've read this seems to be the precursor for a failure. I was wondering however if the springs are going at roughly the same mileage on the cars. Also, are we talking about the original factory fitted springs or, is there an underlying design flaw that causes the failure even with new springs fitted after a certain amount of miles? Be good if posters included the mileage of their vehicles when the failures occurred.
Can't comment specifically but had one go on my Scenic about a month back (100K mileage)
Talking with various people, seems coil spring failure is a relatively common failing on many car makes.
Dunno why because when I think of the number of cars I've owned with struts (and friends owned), many with high mileage and hard driven, can't think of one spring failure.
Struts yes and that meant a spring change but not springs.

I wonder if modern weight saving has meant the springs are being pushed to the limits with little safety factor.
Certainly looking at the springs on my Scenic they seem very skinny compared to my memory of those on Cortinas or Capris.

Looking at Deepfat's comments on spring compressors.
My venerable old set, with very slight angled single fingers did not seem safe. So I bought a new set with double hooked fingers.
Those will not slip.
But still a PITA compressing the bu%%ers.
Tenner at a local garage seems a good deal in hindsight.
Currently in Dancingdad's garage:
Qashqai 1.6 spark driven, Kia Sedona 2.9 TDI, Scenic II 15DCi 2004 (SORN) not quite RIP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dancingdad For This Useful Post:
mika900 (29th July 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome