Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Is this the EGR valve???

View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 24th September 2007
Chris Browne
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
EGR valve breaking in two on removal.

Hi guys, just been reading through this thread and quite a few of you seem to "break" the EGR valve in two as you try to remove it. If your EGR valve has a metal body, I believe that later ones had a plastic or resin body, all is not lost. I removed mine (metal bodied) a couple of months ago to clean it and mine also "broke" in two. After I stopped swearing and on further examination, however, the EGR valve is made in two pieces and the pieces are only held together by three mild steel collets that are pressed into the three bolt holes which hold it to the engine. There is a flange machined into each half of the EGR valve. The part of the valve that is immediately visible is a simple solenoid and it is this that tends to come adrift if you apply too much leverage to the flange. The body of the valve actually sits inside another casting but it has a thin flange which just protrudes (about 1mm) which i enough to get the blade of a screwdriver behind and start to gently lever it out. You need to be patient as mine was a very tight fit due the carbon deposits built up on it. I used copious amounts of aerosol carburettor cleaner and WD40 but eventually managed to get it out. Once I had cleaned it up, I clamped the two halves of the EGR valve in a vice and reshaped the three collects using a hammer and the end of a round headed screw to hold the two halves together. Finally I smeared all the mating surfaces with copper-slip to try to aid removal next time. Once refitted, the valve has worked faultlessly ever since. The moral to the story is that if it breaks as you remove it (the metal type) all is not lost. You do not necessarily have to line Mr. Renault's pockets by buying a new one.
Currently in Chris Browne's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna 2.2DCI Initiale Sports Tourer
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome