Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Laguna II - Front springs broken

View Single Post
post #35 of (permalink) Old 29th July 2015
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault - Laguna II - Front springs broken

I'm afraid my little piece is a story of woe, but certainly change both springs.

I live in France and at the time, I was on my own at the house. Both my front springs fractured within a month of each other (Laguna II diesel estate)

My brother sourced the springs and a cheap spring compressor and they arrived in France, so I set about the job. Big mistake or grosse erreur as they say here.

With great difficulty, I managed to change one spring. The second was just as difficult and the compressor flipped off the spring and went through the palm of my hand, causing a big gash. I wrapped my hand in a towel and somehow managed to get the spring on. I have no idea how I managed it. Must have been sheer willpower or stupidity as the case may be. I had no other choice as the house is isolated, no near neighbours and I needed the car to drive to hospital 25 km away. Luckily it's an auto....and the guys at the hospital stitched me up and patted me on the head.

My advice....NEVER use a cheap spring compressor. Most garages will compress the springs for you for a small fee.

Two months later on my way to a friend's house 200 km away, one of the rear springs fractured. Again, change both. They are spring compressor needed. Less than an hour job.
Currently in sevenmilesout's garage:
2004 Laguna 2.2 dci Sports Tourer Automatic
The Following User Says Thank You to sevenmilesout For This Useful Post:
Meganeman (29th July 2015)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome