Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #169 of (permalink) Old 27th September 2007
tom burton
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

I've just had the oppotunaty to inspect the wiring for the door mirror control switch whilst looking at the window regulator mechanism for my wife's 2000 W RXE 1.6 16V Scenic.

All was well with no signs of burning etc. on the wires, or the switch connector, nor on the invididual contacts on these same connecters.

However the wiring has no slack: in partciular it is very easy to trap the wiring when refitting the the door card. Where the wiring approaches the offside door mirror, the loom has been 'adjusted' so that all the cables are flat (like computer ribbon cable) at the point where it run under the edge of the door card. It would be very easy to trap the wiring and 'nick' the insulation of the cables, exposing the inner conductors.

It is also seems very easy to strain the wiring to the mirror switch connector and it seems very plausable when refitting the door card that the strain on this connector could be such as to slightly part the connectors, introducing additional resistance, and hence a potential source of heat, between the two sets of connector contacts. This connector does not seem to be a 'lock fit' as per other connectors on the Scenic.

It makes me nervous that all is still in order now that I've put the door card back on!

The above is IMHO

It is also IMHO that this is a badly designed loom and connector system. My 'humble' opinion is based on my 20years + experience in the electronics/radio/telecommunications industry and in particular of inspecting new cable installations for new electronic equipment in equipment rooms and on trains.

I'm still also of the opinion that the switch should only be 'live' when the ignition is on as per my previous comments on the subject.

Anyone got any news from Renault yet on this subject?

Currently in tom burton's garage:
2006 Renault Modus 1.5Dci 86ps Initial
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome