Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace - 2.2dTi Non-Start*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 27th September 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Espace - 2.2dTi Non-Start*FIXED*

Hi, First post so bear with me..

I have a 1998 MkIII Espace 2.2 (2188cc) dTi VIN VF8JE0E0517.. which I have had from new and has only done 70,000 miles.

I have had nothing but trouble from this car from the start... proverbial Friday afternoon job.. but anyhow on to the current problem with it.

I have read a lot of posts in here regarding the EGR valves and starting problems and am not sure that this directly relates to the issue I have.

A couple of weeks ago it started to become difficult to start and then started dying on acceleration, stalling and losing all power to the ABS system an the steering, my wife nearly drove it off the road when it did it once.

I had a similar problem starting it 3 years ago when I had 2 of the glo plugs replaced, that fixed it then. However this time the stalling on acceleration is more worrying.

We eventually got it home but then couldn't get it started. We called the RAC out who said that the glo plugs weren't performing correctly as he measured them (I haven't had chance to check myself as I am an electronics engineer, will do later). He also said there was an excessive amount of air in the diesel fuel lines which I had noticed myself.

I booked it into Renault informing them of these two potential faults. They phoned me back a day later telling me that I need a new fuel tank (no sign of leaking) and all associated pipework.. total cost 1000. well the car can't be worth more than that so I said no as over the 9 years that I have had it I have spent around 10,000 on repairs on it at Renault!!! They also said it needed a new battery as we had ruined the old one trying to start it.

They didn't mention the Glo Plugs or anything else.

I manged to get it towed back to my house and it now sits on my drive-way and is booked in to a less expensive garage next week.

I have taken the battery out and recharged it and it is holding it's charge, I tried to start it again and it turns over well, kicks a few times but won't get going.

So here are my questions:

Anyone know what resistance the Glo Plugs should be with the terminals disconnected?

I know they are a nightmare to change, what length of shaft and box spanner is required, can I get away with a universal Joint one to get round the angles?

How much air would you expect to see in the diesel fuel pipes, there is a lot. I have provisionally held a breakers yard tank with the pump for which sits on top I believe, this is for 90.

Anyone else come across this sort of issue before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's not a problem for me to strip a bit of it down as I used to take my Triumph Herald Engine/Gearbox out all the time to replace big ends clutches etc, but engines nowadays have so much power taken of them for other components it's a bit more complicated.

Thanks in Advance

The Following User Says Thank You to pcsel For This Useful Post:
Timbro (15th July 2011)
  5 Lastest Threads by pcsel
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Espace - 2.2dTi Non-Start*FIXED* Espace kryten2x4p 10 15704 27th September 2007 06:18 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome