Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Spongy Brakes

Thread: Spongy Brakes
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 7th August 2015 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Spongy Brakes

Hi everyone,

Basically this week being an idiot I managed to drain the battery on my 2006 Renault Clio Dynamique S Dci106.

It's my first car and I'm learning a number of lessons relatively fast it seems.

Anyway, I got a new battery fitted (it was the original battery still in there) and since then I've noted the brake pedal seems spongy, when I pump it with the car running it makes like a squigy/air sound continuously. When the car is completely off, pumping it does that for one or two presses and then the pedal goes hard as I'd expect it to be. Starting the car again it becomes spongy again.

The brakes still work and apply straight away as they did before (I think, first ever car still pretty clueless) but the pedal seems lighter and definitely has some travel in it.

First of all, does anyone know what this maybe? I find it weird how it goes hard when the engine is off but starts again as soon as it's running...

Other than that, should I be worried about this? And if yes, is this an expensive fix or something I could do myself? (If I can do it myself, links to any how to guides would be really helpful).

If you need any more details just ask, tried to be as thorough as I can be but I don't know what I'm talking about

Currently in LoganT's garage:
Clio MK3 1.5 Dci106 2006
  5 Lastest Threads by LoganT
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio MK3 Indicator Problem Electronics Mike H025 1 771 30th December 2015 09:53 PM
Spongy Brakes Brakes/Hubs ballibeg 3 497 7th August 2015 10:16 PM
Clio Check Injector Warning Light Engines LoganT 7 676 5th August 2015 10:40 PM
Stereo upgrade for Clio In-car entertainment LoganT 3 600 5th August 2015 09:32 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome