Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 1 - Charging Problem

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 28th September 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Laguna 1 - Charging Problem

I have a 1997 Laguna 2.2 RTdT, and I've had intermittent electrical problems for several years. Several batteries and a new alternator later, the battery still drains flat very easily - particularly when I'm using fan and aircon alot.

I'm told that the alternator fitted earlier this year was the wrong spec, but there is a good 14V charging voltage when the engine is idling.

Is there a straightforward way to tell the difference between a problem with the charging circuit and a short that is draining the battery ?

Listening to engine yesterday, I could hear a clattering noise coming from somewhere near the aux belt or (I hope not!) the cambelt. I would have thought a loose pulley/belt would have produced a screech, but do you think a problem there could affect the charging ?

My next step is to wire a voltmeter across the battery so that I can keep an eye on the charging voltage while driving.

Any other ideas very welcome !!

Currently in hughstary's garage:
1997 Laguna 2.2dt
  5 Lastest Threads by hughstary
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Renault Laguna 1 - Clutch Judder Engines Lagdti 3 1429 15th October 2007 08:06 AM
Laguna Camshaft Pulley Engines thunderbird2 4 2703 3rd October 2007 08:11 AM
Renault Laguna 1 - Charging Problem Electronics mr espace 4 1561 28th September 2007 09:21 AM
Intermittent Electrical Problems - Laguna Mk 1 Electronics Lagdti 1 1025 18th June 2007 09:52 AM
Laguna Electrics Problem Electronics 4 1276 8th February 2007 09:29 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome