Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Main Dealer Servicing Query???

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 28th September 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Yes, I believe I ought to get further clarification regarding the authenticity of the service/stamp.

For the record, yes, the car is now out of warranty (4 yrs old) and, yes, the service centre is at an official Renault dealership.

As for the oil issue, I would certainly not risk a grade that is going to offer anything less than 100% protection, but I believe there is something to be said for the inflated prices of "Renault labelled" or "Renault recommended" oil .

Last year I had an issue with a smokey exhaust, which led to an MOT failure. I took the car to the dealership to report and I was offered an air filter change for 80! Instead I decided to change the filter myself and bought a quality filter for 12. Incidently, (if my memory serves my right) the filter I removed (i.e. the one from the 1st Renault dealership service was a Fram filter. These are widely available for under 10, and certainly not worth 80in my opinion.

I realise that oil offers very important protective properties, but can't help feeling that, as with just about anything commercial these days, pricing is as synonymous with labelling as it is with quality.

Certainly if i opted for the cheaper service then I would enquire about either supplying my own oil or, if declined by the dealership service dept. then to change the oil when I arrive home.

I will endeavour to phone the dealership service dept. tomorrow morning to enquire about the possibility of supplying my own oil and the issue of the service stamp.

Out of interest, which grade should I be looking to buy anyway?

Currently in Scratch1964's garage:
Renault Clio Dynamique 1.5DCI 2003 (53)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome