Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane - Card not Detected

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 1st October 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by greenmonster View Post
Hi all,
I have a 52 reg 1.4 Megane Authentique, thats been great for 2 years, but now has broken down with, card not detected error, I have got the car to the main dealers and they dont know whats wrong with it.
Theyve read the faults and cleard them, and now want 1 hours labour to locate the fault.

Any Ideas what to try first, before I get robbed.

New battery in the card, the car locks and un-locks fine, but just wont switch the ignition on.

Correct me if I'm worng, but looking through this forum, the caycard is at fault? (this seems to be the usual statement for a faulty card)

No I dnot have a spare card to try.

Many thanks

If it's the same as the Laguna then the key card has two parts to it. On section operates the remote lock / unlock and is operated using the battery in the card.
The second bit is a 'transponder' that carries a code for the immobiliser. This takes its power from the card reader and does not use the battery in the card.

The problom could lie in the card or the card reader. The card reader has two micro switches to detect how far the card is inserted. It's worth checking what the imobiliser light is showing and also the light on the card reader.
The card reader light should be on when you unlock the car and then the immobilser should go off. If the light on the reader flashes then the card has been detected by the microswitch but the code is either not read or incorrect.

If the problem is with the reader then this can be easily replaced (it does not need to be coded to the car).

If the problem is with the card then you are in for a £130 bill!

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome