Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - 2.0 IDE engine problems !

View Single Post
post #45 of (permalink) Old 1st October 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by FunkyMonkey View Post
Another thing, reading the thread here, changing the fuel sensor has not fixed the problem for other people. For Ashes told me what often happens is that you need to open the engien and clean it up and investigate, i.e. you may as well get a new engine. In other words, if it was just the fuel sensor, they'd ahve told me. Well, I woudl have hoped so. By the way, they recommended I just live with it. I will try the injector cleaner fluid and super unleaded as that seemse to have improved the situation. As long as I get to where I was a few months ago, i.e. noticable lumpy idle, but not shaking me and my car so much as to make my exhaust rattle, then I will ne happy.
My 02 plate IDE first started to show these symptoms at about 30K miles. Then it was a slightly lumpy idle (regular beat). Used injector cleaner every 5th tank and now at 45K miles this has become more erratic rather than lumpy.
It's now only just noticeable (nothing like yours it seems).

Reading the various threads here suggest many possible causes from imbalance compression through fuel pressure problems, injector faults etc. Since your problem seems to have got much worse over relatively few miles I can't see that this is compression related.

I have one other possible cause - battery problems.
I recently had to replace my battery due to problems starting. Before this I noticed that my dash illuminmation would flicker when the engine was at low idle. With the new battery (75Ah!) that's gone and I'm sure the erratic idle is better.
My reasoning - the injectors are driven directly from the 12V supply. If the voltage is modulated at low idle (from 13 to 15Volts) then the response speed of the injectors will also vary. The fuel gets to the plug a little bit late and power output is reduced. The IDE engine is heavily relient on accurate timing of the inject and the spark.

Just a thought.

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome