Independent Renault Forums banner

Laguna 3 coupe 2.0 DCI ABS

10K views 25 replies 4 participants last post by  TTT 
#1 ·
Hi,
Can't find any info on the matter. Abs light is on, ABS, ESP and Brake System faults showing on start up. After I changed the front discs and pads these faults appeared about 30 miles later. The old discs had to be hammered off. There is also a shudder from the steering wheel only when braking hard from 70ish mph.
I had the fault code read, it's showing front right abs sensor open circuit. I replaced the sensor, fault still there.
Is the abs ring in the hub on this model (2010)? Could I have damaged the hub and abs ring hammering off the old discs? Can the fault "abs sensor open circuit" mean that the ABS ECU has not received the correct signal from the sensor,(ie sensor is ok but abs ring is faulty) as the old sensor has same resistance as the new sensor. ( few K Ohms one way, open the other, diode check works across sensor contacts).
Booked into Renault in a few days time. If anyone has had experience of this fault please pass on any info, thinking of changing the hub myself depending on the feedback from the questions above.
Thanks in advance for any input.

#2 · (Edited)
Sorry to say but it sounds very much like the hub has been damaged when the old discs were removed.

The hub set up on the mk3 Laguna (if I'm looking at the correct part) appears to be a complete bolt on unit housing the hub, bearing, and ABS tone ring.

If the ABS tone ring is incorporated into the bearing like the mk2 is it's quite a delicate item and is easily damaged. If it's damaged the ABS and other systems that rely on the pulses from the tone ring won't be working and the associated warning lights will come on.

If the shudder from the steering when braking wasn't there before it will probably be run out from the discs.
If you had to hammer the old discs off the hub faces and edges must have a decent amount of rust on them, this needs to be carefully removed with a wire brush or by sanding. With the rust removed and the hub nice and clean it should then be lightly smeared with anti seize grease before fitting the discs.

Cheers.

#5 ·
Hope the new hub sorts it out, let us know how you get on.

Good luck.

Cheers.

#6 ·
Hub didn't fix it so off to the dealer in the morning. Still a steering shake while braking after the hub was replaced so took the other disc off (which didn't come off easy as there was still some corrosion on the shoulder of the hub) cleaned the hub properly and now the steering shake is gone. That's something I suppose.

Thanks again for the advice, will post here with the dealers findings.

#7 ·
Sorry to hear that the new hub didn't fix the problem. :(
Obvious to think that the hub could have suffered with the discs having to be hammered off, if I had the same problem I would have replaced the hub.

Just for clarity and not to overlook anything ....when you say it's the front right sensor that's showing as open circuit you do mean the drivers side front don't you?

Good to hear that the steering shake has gone after refitting.

Cheers.

#8 ·
Yes drivers side front. It's with the dealer now. Waiting like an expectant father. Lol.

Will see what they come up with. Have read the code needs cleared twice? But Renault guy said if you drive above 8mph the fault should clear itself from dash if the defect is fixed.

Cheers

#9 ·
Dealer said that there is open circuit in the wiring( must be from ABS ECU to ABS sensor connector). I hope they checked connector to connector and not through the ABS sensor back to ECU.The area they are talking about means there is a good chance the damage was caused when the turbo was replace by them 2 weeks before the ABS fault appeared. Anyone got a can of petrol and a match?

They are going to carry out a repair tomorrow. Tempted to take it off of them, open up the loom and trace it back to try a repair myself. Access to the ECU connector and wiring loom is very poor behind heat shield and runs down the inner arch. Just want it fixed so going to pay the £208. ?

#10 ·
Yes, ABS faults do clear themselves once you drive the car.

I imagine that they would have tested from connector to connector to find the break in the loom.
Finding the broken part of a wire in a loom isn't always easy, it often means stripping the loom over the full length and replacing the whole length of wire.
It's probably best to do this anyway just incase the wire has other damage.

Hope they get it sorted for you.

Let us know.

Cheers.

#11 ·
I won't say what I do for a living but it is killing me to pay someone to run in 4 foot of wiring. I am leaving it with them as I don't have the connector contacts, crip tools or diagrams and the break could be right at the ECU connector pin.
I'm giving them a call in the morning to make sure they replace the wiring pin to pin.

#12 ·
I can probably guess what you do :d and I sympathise with your situation.

I spent weeks trying to figure out what the problem was with my ABS when the warning light started to come on randomly. After a lot of head scratching & posting on here I eventually got to the bottom of it but not before it had gave me blood pressure :d

We all have to pay the man at some point...and it's only going to get worse, especially with the electronic ridden throw away cars they are churning out these days...they are making them so they go wrong and we all have to pay.

Cheers.

#14 ·
Try to make him feel worse why don't you... :rolleyes: :d

Cheers.

#16 ·
That's more like it :d

Cheers.

#18 ·
For anyone searching this fault in the future. Dealer said they found the wiring insulation discoloured after they cut open the protective tubing running up towards the ABS ECU. "Found the wiring to be corroded after removing discoloured insulation" . 5 year old car with wiring corroding In the middle of a harness? Good old Renault.

#19 ·
Glad you have it back and it's sorted.

Aye Renault are very good at crap wiring...they're really great at getting their wires to corrode and their fuse boxes to fill with water.

Thanks for posting the outcome and the advice :cool:

Cheers.

#20 ·
Same just happened here
Had discs and pads all round, have drove around 30 miles and the "Check ABS, ESP, Steering fault " came on.
So it's to do with having these jobs done?
Had a BMW before this and when pads were changed I had to have a new ABS wire fitted as standard, are these not the same or has a wire been damaged whilst replacing parts?
Taking it back on Monday, hope to get armed with info before I go as not get the " it's nothing we've done" answer
Any info appreciated

#21 ·
You have to suspect the fitting of the new brakes don't you.

If the rear discs are the same as the Laguna 2, the type where the disc & hub are all one I would suspect these first.
The hub has a magnetic tone ring fitted to the inside edge of the hub, the magnetic strip is very delicate and easily damaged, if the discs are handled roughly.
The ring is removable, it is pressed onto the hub.

You can't rule out the front brakes either, a sensor wire could have been caught during the removal / refitting of the discs.

To pinpoint the fault diagnostic equipment is the best option, this should show which wheel sensor / tone ring is causing the problem.

Hope you get sorted.

Cheers.

Reactions: bbstoke
#23 ·
Hey, you were bang on!!!
It was the rear near side hub after diagnostic.
Brought the discs and pads from Mister Auto ( based in Belgium)
Far cheaper than anywhere else but take around 10 days to arrive
I ordered the Brembo, they sent me one rear when it stated a set of two
After a call they sent two and told me to keep the other as spare
Gave this to the mechanic as I wouldn't need it ( FOOL)
Anyway it was that ABS ring on the rear hub, so he still had this spare, replaced it and TADA, all faults clear, £30 charge for the diagnostic and that's it..Result

Just thought I'd post the results to help anyone else
Cheers

#24 ·
Thanks for letting us know the outcome....and happy to hear your sorted :cool:

As said the rear magnetic tone rings are quite delicate, they can be damaged easily, even in transit.

If anyone is fitting new rear discs with this type of magnetic ring and they haven't got diagnostic equipment it's best to fit one side then road test the car...then you can pinpoint the problem if there is one!

It's wise to keep the old discs and remove the old magnetic tone rings to keep for spares...you never know when they may come in handy.
The rings can be removed without damage if you take your time and remove them slowly and gently.
I removed one recently to renew a wheel bearing...took about 20 minutes to gently persuaded it off but it came off and went back on with no damage.

Cheers.

#26 ·
....If anyone is fitting new rear discs with this type of magnetic ring and they haven't got diagnostic equipment it's best to fit one side then road test the car...then you can pinpoint the problem if there is one!....
Just to add...
In your case that wouldn't have worked as it took 30 miles before the lights came on :crazy: ... I can't explain that, maybe there was only one segment of the tone wheel damaged and it took a while for the fault to register.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.