Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - TDC Sensor Replacement (with pictures!)

View Single Post
post #77 of (permalink) Old 1st October 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Hi Liz - the Top Dead Centre sensor and the crank sensor are the some thing - to be tedhnocally correct it should be referred to as the "crankshaft speed/position sensor". It may be worth giving it a clean and see if it helps - would be cheaper than paying for a diagnosis
Hi. Just reading through these problems and I have a Laguna II 1.9dci that occasionally does not start.. I think I will remove the camshaft position sensor and try and clean it to see what happens.

They have 2 sensors. 1 is for the crankshaft position ( TDC ) and the other is the camshaft position sensor on the top of the head and gets its signal from the camshaft....

They are 2 totally different sensors. If the engine looses its crankshaft signal ( TDC ) it will stall.... and will not start. The engine will not send any fuel. If the engine looses the camshaft sensor signal the engine will still run until you try to start it again... and usually when the engine is hot the camshaft sensor will usually work....The engine will still give fuel but needs both sensors to start the engine.

I think that is right. Maybe someone can clarify??

Currently in merky's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II Tourer 1.9dci

Last edited by merky; 1st October 2007 at 10:48 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome