Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Buyer's Guides - Oil specification by Elf.

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 4th February 2006 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Post Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Buyer's Guides - Oil specification by Elf.

I have read with interest the thread concerning oil specifications. This was after I purchased my latest car, which is a Laguna 1.8 16v Authentique Automatic 2002 vintage with 39000 miles on the clock. Changing the oil in all my previous cars was done at 6000 miles. So I thought I should look into it too make sure that I was upto date with grades etc. I contacted Elf direct and asked what should I use in the above car.
The following are the results:-
The correct PRIMARY engine oil for your vehicle on a 2 year service interval is an SAE 5W-30 viscosity oil to ACEA specification A5, such as Elf Evolution SXR 5W-30.
The SECONDRY recommendation is an SAE 5W-40 viscosity to ACEA specification A3/B3/B4, such as Elf Excellium LDX 5W-40.
The THIRD recommendation is an SAE 10W-40 viscosity oil to ACEA specification A3/B3/B4, such as Elf Competition ST.
So I contacted my local distributor to find out what they would put into my car if I was to get them to do it, and guess what they would use a Semi Synthetic 10W-40 make unknown. Then I contacted the garage that carried out the last service and yes they do the same.
So in short if you are like me who has NEVER ever had someone else service his vehicles over the last 44 years, you will want to use the best possible oil available. As I say I change the oil and filter every 6000 and to date have never even had to take the head off any of my cars.
If you put your car in for servicing and want the best for your car you will need to specify what oil they use. I would suggest you go to the following link and ask them what you should use for your vehicle.
Currently in ren25's garage:
Laguna 11 1.8 16v Authentique Auto 5 door Hatch
  5 Lastest Threads by ren25
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
New Renault Club Feedback & Announcements Avantime4Mike 22 2534 23rd February 2007 11:51 PM
Meet North East Scotland Regional activity ren25 9 1607 16th December 2006 12:21 AM
Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Buyer's Guides -... Laguna madnoel10 20 14453 4th February 2006 11:16 PM
New to this forum Welcome to RenaultForums 7 1242 24th January 2006 07:47 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome