Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Engines - 2.0 IDE engine problems !

View Single Post
post #46 of (permalink) Old 2nd October 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Eeeps View Post
My 02 plate IDE first started to show these symptoms at about 30K miles. Then it was a slightly lumpy idle (regular beat). Used injector cleaner every 5th tank and now at 45K miles this has become more erratic rather than lumpy.
It's now only just noticeable (nothing like yours it seems).

Reading the various threads here suggest many possible causes from imbalance compression through fuel pressure problems, injector faults etc. Since your problem seems to have got much worse over relatively few miles I can't see that this is compression related.

I have one other possible cause - battery problems.
I recently had to replace my battery due to problems starting. Before this I noticed that my dash illuminmation would flicker when the engine was at low idle. With the new battery (75Ah!) that's gone and I'm sure the erratic idle is better.
My reasoning - the injectors are driven directly from the 12V supply. If the voltage is modulated at low idle (from 13 to 15Volts) then the response speed of the injectors will also vary. The fuel gets to the plug a little bit late and power output is reduced. The IDE engine is heavily relient on accurate timing of the inject and the spark.

Just a thought.

Thanks, Ian. To be honest, I don't know much about engines, etc, but your logic seems credible. Especially, as you say, my problem came on relatively suddenly, and I do listen to my radio with engine off at lunchtimes, and I'm pretty sure the (5.5 year old) car is on original battery.

Just this morning I put in a tank of BP Super Unleaded, and topped it up with STP injector cleaner fluid. Will give it a week and if no better, the battery will be next, ready for winter.

Thanks for the tip. Watch this space!

P.S. Shout out to the boys in red for tonight...
Currently in FunkyMonkey's garage:
2002 Renault Laguna II 2.0iDE Initiale
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome