Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - FOS Window regulator

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 2nd October 2007
tom burton
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I replaced the O/S front window regulator on the Scenic on Sunday morning: it was a breeze. I took under 2 hours taking it really steady and with my 7 year old son 'helping' me.

The new unit was of a different design to the original and came complete with motor. I consider the pattern part to be of a superior quality to that of the original. Specifically the part clipped to the window was in the middle of the cable rather than at one end. At each end of the metal spar along which the bit clipped to the window traverses, there is a wheel (pulley?) rather than plastic guides to guide the wires. I assume that the 'Bowden' cable just passes through the pulley attached to the motor rather than being wrapped/unwrapped around the drum driven by the motor on the original part.

The problem with the original unit appears to be that the cable became tangled on the drum driven by the motor: when this occurred, the tension on the plastic bits on the end of the spar became too great and thus these clips broke.

As there was no rust present on the original cable, I just greased the new cable with standard grease. I temporaraly connected and operated the mechanism so that the grease worked into the cable, wheels and cable sleeves.

The only negative thing about the replacement part is that I had to chop off the connector on the wiring loom and connect the supplied flying lead as the 2 pin motor connector was different on the replacement part. This will invalid any claim I may have if the wiring for the electric door mirrors smokes! I consider this to be a small price to pay as the replacement bit was only around a quarter of the price of a genuine Renault part of inferior quality.

I sourced my part from Marcus Bailey via e-bay, currently Item number: 190156203945.

I hope that this helps anyone else considering changing their window regulator mechanism.

Currently in tom burton's garage:
2006 Renault Modus 1.5Dci 86ps Initial

Last edited by tom burton; 2nd October 2007 at 05:02 PM. Reason: typo 'Boyden' to 'Bowden'
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome