Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - The Vel Satis Club, for all things Vel....

View Single Post
post #112 of (permalink) Old 3rd October 2007
Rev Fred
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hello fellow Vels! I've had my VS for about a year now and I love it to bits. Its just a 2 litre petrol Expression, but it has leather seats and its in quite good nick.

The standard stereo was pants though! However, I have successfully added a top quality Pioneer head unit with Ipod connection, and full integration with the stalk controls, as well a nice Renault specific Pioneer speaker set in the front (rears fairly soon too.) The head unit is in the Sat Nav slot, so I can hide it under the cover, and never have to take the front off. The old head unit is still there above, so there is nothing to tempt a thief. The Ipod connection is just a standard Pioneer unit, and the stalk controls connection was again a standard Pioneer unit specifically adapted to integrate with "Tuner Plus" (?) Renault units. The speaker set is called the TS-Q131C, Google it and you'll find it. You get two main speakers and two tweeters which all slot straight in. Costs about 60 and makes a big difference. Same set will fit in the back doors too if you want.

I have some issues though, and maybe some of you might have some answers.

Although it is leather and vast, I find the driver's seat strangely uncomfortable. I get a sharp jabbing pain in my lower back just sitting in it, and my left thigh gets very sore after urban driving because there is something hard under the seat cushioning. Anyone else experienced problems with the seat?

I have tried a special lower back cushion and that aleviates the problem a bit, but it also pushed me forward, so the base of the seat is not so welcoming.

The windscreen wiper blades are worn and I want to replace them, but can't find any on sale for less than 50. Anyone know of a source of cheaper ones than that?

The engine fault light is on because the secomd Lamda sensor needs replacing. A local dealer can do the work, but they can't clear the fault codes and clear the light. Anyone know anyone who can clear fault codes? The local main dealer wants to charge me 85, which I think is far too much for pushing some keys.

I'm sure my engine doesn't sound like it did six months ago. I swear there is a tappetty knock in third and fourth, and on the overrun. Anyone else experienced this?

There are other problems, but actually I don't mind them too much, as it is a big French car, and is all the more beautiful for its eccentricities. It goes wrong, but at the same time just shrugs its Gallic shoulders and waves a well manicured hand at those irritating goody goody swots the Germans, who've all got their keen hands up at the front of the class.
Currently in Rev Fred's garage:
2002 Vel Satis 2.0
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome