Independent Renault Forums banner

Scenic starting problem

4K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  OG 
#1 ·
I bought a Scenic in 2004 brand new from a dealer so its now 2 years old with 10,000 miles on the clock.

6 times since new has it been sent back to the dealer because I can't start it (it had a keycard that can be used as wireless).

Usually, the dash all lights up but I just get 3 clicks with alternating "steering locked" and "steering not locked".

The dealer always gets it working but can't find any problems. It's had other electrical faults like windows not shutting and doors not locking on one side.

It's a pain getting towed as its an automatic and I have to show the AA man how to take off the surround to the gears to press the button to manually move into Neutral (little trick I saw in the manual).

Anyway, I'm completely let down by this car. I once again found myself in a car park this afternoon with a wife and 3 small children and a car that wouldn't start. I've left it blocking the doors to the dealership on a Sunday in order that it gets immediate attention on the Monday (if they want to get in).

Come back Ford, all is forgiven.

Anyone have any input into my car's ailing health ? Please !

Andy

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Nightmare!

I can't help with the problem but hopefully one of our more technically minded members will be along with some advice.

I can sympathise with you, I had similar problems with my last car (E Class Merc). It first let me down when it was just 3 months old and I could never trust it. When you've got young kids and you don't know whether your car will start it's a pain in the :censored:
Sounds to me like it's time to insist that the garage find the problem rather than just getting it going again. It could be worth getting Renault Customer Service† involved - not necessarilly to have a go at the dealer but to fix the problem.

Good luck with it.

#3 ·
thanks - i've sent them an eMail so I'll see what they can add. It's actually stopped a lot more times than this but I thought that we'd found the trick in that it wouldn't start whilst steering was locked so we used to roughly handle the steering whilst pressing the start button and once you had that off, it would start - no avail this time though. Why do they have to over-complicate cars ?

G
#4 ·
awisbey said:
Why do they have to over-complicate cars ?
That's something I've been bleeting on about for ages. These days they do things that just aren't needed (and I don't just mean Renault). Automatic windscreen wipers:crazy: Why can't you turn a lever when it starts raining. Keycards - what's wrong with turning a key. The list goes on and on. Some things just seem to be problems waiting to happen.

#5 ·
The steering column is defective.. Replaced a few now, with exactly the fault you are describing..

G
#7 ·
awisbey said:
Thanks very much - I shall pass this on tomorrow.

Is this a quick/cheap thing to do ? - just wondering if I'll get any resistance from the dealers.

Thanks
Andy
If that's the fault and it's under warranty I doubt there would be a problem. Renault must know about it. If Webcode has repalced a few I'm sure some other dealers muct have too.

Thanks for the response Webcode.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.