Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What I hate about driving...

View Single Post
post #80 of (permalink) Old 6th February 2006
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Agree with pretty much all of the above. It's interesting, though, that despite the generally much better lane discipline on Autoroutes, the fatality rates in France are much higher than on UK motorways.

I'm not a perfect driver, but my driving style does change depending what car I'm driving: Avantime - superior but tolerant, Jag - quick but sedate, Type "R" - a bit boy-racer and rather less tolerant, I'm afraid.

However, I feel that the overall problem is one of a lack of awareness of, and consideration for, other road users. None of us OWNS the piece of road we're on from second to second and, if someone genuinely needs to change lanes, all we usually need to do is briefly back off the throttle.

I recently saw an incident on a country road that beggared belief. On a straight and visible stretch of road, I was following a Beemer, at a speed of maybe 55 - 60mph. A slow truck was approaching from the opposite direction and a guy in a Saab had decided to pass him before they reached a long stretch of double-white lines.

Yes, they were closer than was ideal, but I simply backed of the gas to cut speed a little. The guy in Beemer, however, accellerated and was hitting the horn and flashing his lights at the Saab, who still got through the gap quite safely. These two will likely never see each other again, so what did the histrionics achieve? **ck all,except demonstrate that the Beemer driver was a prat!

Competent drivers don't need to prove anything, but we all get baited occasionally.

Currently in SykeStudiO's garage:
Renault Avantime Privilege V6 Auto -- Jaguar XJR V8 S/charged -- Honda Civic Type-R -- Honda Beat

Last edited by SykeStudiO; 6th February 2006 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Typo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome