Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Anyone retro fitted carminat sat nav?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 6th February 2006
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
What's the stereo system like in the Vel Satis? Could it be neatly replaced with a standard DIN-E unit?

If so, then I'd be inclined to look at an after-fit system that replaces the stereo - preferably one with a retracting screen. With the screen stowed, the interior will look fine, and it won't look so bad with the screen out either (certainly no wires all over the place.)

Above all, don't waste money on the original CD based (rather than the later DVD based) Carminat. The system is dated, slow to recalculate your route if you miss a turn and has an interface that can only be described as 'user hostile.' You don't even get the 3D 'bird eye' view that all but the very cheapest after-fit models have these days.

If you really want the factory look (or something close to it) I'd look at getting the original navigation binnacle but putting something else inside it. I'll bet a TomTom GO or One would fit quite nicely in there, though the screen would be a bit smaller so you'd have to fabricate some sort of surround. In every other respect bar the screen, this system would knock the spots off Carminat, and I'm sure it would work out a whole lot cheaper too.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome