Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault batteries

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 7th October 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by Normc3943 View Post
I have recently had Battery trouble with my Laguna. One day it would not start despite having used the car just an hour before. The RAC were excellent and confirmed the battery charge to be 11.5 volts. He checked the alternator which was charging ok then checked for any leakage of power but found none. He suggested a half hour run to put some charge in. Everything has been fine for about 2 weeks when the same thing happened again.
I thought I would make an enquiry about a new one and have had 3 quotations from leading suppliers.
a) £47
b) £74
c) £97
Can anyone tell me which option to take, all have 2 year guarantee. Is the cheapest one worth going for?

My Laguna 02 plate has had three batteries (including the original). The same symptoms - did not seem to hold charge. You would just come to it one day and it wouldn't start. The original battery and the first replacement were 'standard' 50Ah.

I've now fitted a 75Ah high power from Halfords. I needed it quickly and considering the delivery charge on the Internet it wasn't too much more (£99). It comes with a 4 year guarantee.

Although I have a petrol engine it's an IDE with high compression so I thought a high starting current (like a diesel) would help. It now sounds completely different starting.

In my case the car gets little use on a daily basis with short trips. I've also noticed that on idle the battery terminal voltage drops suggesting that the alternator does not supply much current at 780rpm.

Also note that the push button start will not engage even if the terminal voltage is high enough to drive the starter (10.5V).

The other thing is the sheer number of auxilary circuits. Just unlocking and placing the card in the auxilary position switches on all interior lights, the sat nav, climate control amongst others. I bet the battery drain is close to 10 amps like this.

Currently in Eeeps's garage:
2011 Clio III dCi 88 Dynamique and 2016 CitroŽn Grand C4 Picasso Exclusive+ EAT6 2.0 BlueHDi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome