Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #172 of (permalink) Old 8th October 2007
fireball scenic
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Hello Tom,

Interesting reviewing your comments about the quality of the wiring and taking the time to check it all out. Renault are almost word-for-word quoting your comment about taking the door panel off and refitting it, thereby trapping the wiring in between the door card and frame. I have pointed out that in our case this could not have started the fire as it was the ground connection on the switch (black wire) that went first and that would have been at the same potential as the door frame. Also the wire insulation was in good condition right at the point where the cables would have come into contact with the door frame if they were chafed etc.

It is my belief that over time condensation is entering the switch and setting up a new conductive path (verdigris or similar) and eventually leading to a conductive path being established in the switch which leads to the cable overload and subsequent fire.

It doesn't help that the circuit is fed from a fuse that is far too highly rated for the gauge of cable used in the loom which is less than 20awg and not capable of handling the fuse rated current (Not good electrical practice).

I am still very much in contact with VOSA / Renault on the issue and their investigations continue. As a measure I am getting a 2000 Scenic mirror switch from ebay to disect and comparing it with one of the later type Scenic switches to see if they have made any design changes over the years and what condition the 2000 switch is in. Should be interesting!

Regards - Dave
Currently in fireball scenic's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic II DCi130 Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome