Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Espace III - Electronics - How to resolve an airbag fault (how to with pics)

View Single Post
post #36 of (permalink) Old 9th October 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Good morning all - from a grey and dismal "Bonnie Scotland"!
I continue to follow this thread with great interest... I "solved" the intermittent airbag light prroblem back in April, by following Quinten's brilliantly produced a point...i.e. I decided initially not to go as far as cutting and soldering...
All was well...for a few weeks...then the problem re-appeared! I fully intend (when I get a moment and it's not raining! - who said one has loads of time after retiring?) to "cut and solder"....In the meantime, I have determined (I think!!) that my particular fault is under the driver's seat (not the passenger's)...When the light comes on (usually at "start up", but sometimes it comes on whilst driving along), I switch off the ignition, get out and go in via the rear door and GENTLY jiggle the wires, hanging down and vissible under and near the rear of the driver's seat, turn on the ignition again and the problem's GONE!....until the next time!!

Right now, I can't remember where these wires come from or go to (seat belt?... pre- tensioner?..) but that's the ones I intend to cut and solder...REMEMBER: Disconnect battery, leave 5 minutes (1/2 hour is "overkill) and cut and solder and insulate ONE WIRE AT A TIME....

Quite frankly, it's ridiculous that so many Espace owners seem to have this problem...My other BIG problem is locating (non-Renault) rear callipers (as well as discs and pads)...Renault want 245 EACH calliper...I often regret selling my 15-year old Sierra estate!

Good luck...Andy (2000W 1.8 Alize - Scottish Borders)
Currently in 3d2limabravo's garage:
Renault Espace 2.0l

Last edited by 3d2limabravo; 9th October 2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: spelling!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome