Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #174 of (permalink) Old 9th October 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Being an automotive electrical engineer (not renault I must add!), the techniques used to protect the electrical system are quite simplistic, but very effective when used correctly.

A 20awg (0.5mm csa) wire can only carry a maximum of approx 9A when used in free air at 20 Deg C. When placed in a wiring harness in an area that will go above this temperature the wire must be derated - I use 3.6A max for this size wire fully derated.

The fuse that protects the system must be rated such that the fuse will pop before any other components fail including wires in the case of a short or long term overload. For this size wire I would only recommend a max fuse of 5A.

Fuses will never fully protect against all eventualities, but will protect against most...... Keeping them as low as possible reduces the risk further.

Condensation inside a switch is never a good thing, but how and why it is there should also be investigated - is the switch sealed from the top?

Has VOSA/Reanult come back with their findings yet?
Currently in sporty's garage:
X reg Scenic 2.0 Sport Alize and a Vauxhall Astra LS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome