Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Fire risk - Door mirror control

View Single Post
post #175 of (permalink) Old 10th October 2007
fireball scenic
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Sporty, Your calculations of the fuse size is about right, I seem to remember though that the fuse fitted to protect this circuit is much higher than the rated capacity of the cable.

Regarding news, VOSA are still very much pursuing Renault as they are claiming it is water ingress or cable damage that caused the fire in our car. There was no water leaking in through the door / window seals and the carpets were totally dry in the car. Also we have not had any accidents or spilt water over the switch. I have a hunch that it is condensation / moisture related damage that over time sets up a conductive path to ground in the switch and eventually leads to total failure by either melting or catching fire.

As for suggestions of cable / connector damage the fact remains that in our car the ground wire burned and this could only happen if there was a load path to ground provided by one of the positive feed cables, through the switch contact itself. As the switch was live but not being operated at the time of the fire then something must have happenend to the internals to create a closed circuit connection to ground! There is no other way that the ground wire could be loaded.

VOSA mostly agree with my comments on this so we wait to see what decisions are made, afterall this is not something like the Clio bonnet issue where jointly with Renault they could argue it would be picked up by routine maintenance. They are trying however to make it appear to be a fault that was not borne out of a design fault!

I have also offered a suggestion that the reason why the identical switch fitted to the megane does not appear to be giving trouble. This switch is fitted in the arm rest / handle of the car at an angle and polarised 180 degrees out from the same switch that is fitted horizontally in the top of the Scenic door card. If it is moisture collecting at the bottom of the switch then this will sit in the electrical contact area on a Scenic and will free drain out of the Megane with limited harmful effect. That's my idea anyway.

Cheers - Dave
Currently in fireball scenic's garage:
2006 Grand Scenic II DCi130 Dynamique
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome