Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Take off your ruddy towbar!

View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12th October 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Bad news Scatz But at least he's insured and he's being sensible about it rather than having you jump through hoops. I once got rear-ended by someone driving a Jeep, and (in the absence of witnesses) her husband decided that I'd reversed into her.

Originally Posted by davesss View Post
Exactly the opposite happened to me...........

I was glad I did not take off my tow bar some years ago !

I was working at the Farnborough Airshow driving round the perimeter track when I had to slow down, the stupid French driver behind was watching the aircraft and did not slow down.

After the gentle impact there was just a slight scratch on my bumper, my tow bar demolished his radiator.
Yep, I reckon the real moral of this story is not "Remove your towbar" but "Don't go around reversing into people"

My towbar saved my car from much more serious damage in an accident on the M42 a few years back. The BMW that was shunted into me was a mess, with a split radiator and its bumper trapped behind the cycle plate that I had behind my towbar.

That said, if the car had absorbed more of the impact and taken more of the damage, then maybe my whiplash injury wouldn't have been quite so severe. The car was repaired within weeks and had been replaced within a few months (it was due anyway) but I was still getting neck and shoulder pain several years later.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome