Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic Wiper not clearing screen - solved

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 13th September 2015 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Scenic Wiper not clearing screen - solved

Hi all,

I searched these forums a couple of weeks ago because the drivers side wiper on my Renault Scenic (2003) was not clearing the screen, and was getting progressively worse. The forums helped but the whole story was not there, so I'm sharing my experience in case someone is experiencing the same.

The problem was caused by worn bearings in the drivers side wiper arms. As Renault charge silly money to replace the WHOLE ARM instead of just the bearings, we looked up how to change the bearings ourselves. It's not easy, and requires patience, brute force and a certain amount of skill. But it does work! Our wiper is now back doing a sterling job.

Replacement bearings, and the tools to do the job are available as kits on ebay but my understanding is that the instructions aren't too good. After searching the net, we came across this article which offers the full process in detail - VERY useful!

If you don't fancy shelling out on a kit then the individual items are cheap and easy to find. You just need two standard skateboard bearings, some 4mm bolts, washers and nuts and some good, strong drill bits to do the job. We also had to get our mitts on a pillar drill for accurate drilling, but we still went through a whole heap of drill bits to get through one of the holes, so it's really worth getting some tough tools.

That's it, except to add that we did try to buy a replacement wiper arm from a scrap yard before we found all this out. Scrappies know these arms are in high demand (this must be a very common problem) so they're not cheap. We paid 35 for the only one we could find and even then the replacement had the same problem, so it was a waste of money. I'd say go for a new arm, or do the fix yourself.

Last edited by megonthemoon; 13th September 2015 at 08:02 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to megonthemoon For This Useful Post:
Dancingdad (13th September 2015)
  5 Lastest Threads by megonthemoon
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
How to remove front passenger seat in Scenic II... Bodywork megonthemoon 2 426 13th October 2015 12:55 PM
Renault Scenic Wiper not clearing screen - solved Bodywork Dancingdad 1 873 13th September 2015 07:40 PM
Should this pipe be attached to anything? (Scenic) Engines megonthemoon 2 503 21st April 2015 11:33 AM
How to change oil and filters in Scenic II Engines andy-fish 2 434 28th March 2015 09:36 AM
Roof bar question: Renault Megane Scenic Bodywork megonthemoon 3 892 3rd September 2014 09:49 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome