Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio 1.2 16v ABS headache

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 14th September 2015 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Unhappy Clio 1.2 16v ABS headache

Hi all, i am finally admitting defeat and asking for help. I have a 2002 Clio 1.2 16v which i have owned for about 3 months. About a month ago i used the car in the rain for the first time, all was fine until i stopped for fuel on the way home. As i pulled out of the station i noticed that the speedo wasn't working, and the ABS light was on along with the SERV, STOP, and handbrake light. I also noticed that on any trip that took longer then 10 minutes, the power steering would cut out. (I read that the ABS, speedo, and power steering are all controlled by the ABS control unit/hydraulic pump?)
I found that the 2 front ABS rings were both cracked, so on the drivers side i replaced the ABS ring and the hub (broken ring had damaged the sensor), and on the other side i replaced the whole drive shaft, as one the boots was leaking grease. This did not fix the problem, although when i start the car from this point, the lights turn off most of the time, until i start moving. Cleaned the rear sensors and rings. Checked the resistance of all of the sensors, all seem fine. Spayed all connections with wd40. Charged battery just in case. Checked the alternator, all good. Went to a local garage, but he said it wouldn't let his diagnostics machine access the ABS. So i changed the ABS control unit and bled the brakes, problem still there! Finally today i thought maybe i could pinpoint the problem, so i started the car, and while the light were out (as i hadn't driven anywhere), i jacked up the rear end and spun the wheels, no lights, so i jacked up the front end and done the same, no lights, so i got in the car and went through the gears, no lights, speedo worked, everything seemed fine. So i put the car back on the ground, drove about 2 meters and the lights come back on!

Can someone please help as i am tearing my hair out here!

Another observation, a couple of days ago i went out in the rain again, and the power steering cut out after just a couple of minutes. Sometimes when it cuts out i can switch the ignition off then on again, and power steering returns, other times it makes no difference. The power steering light never comes on.
Currently in clioedout's garage:
2002 Clio 1.2 16v
  5 Lastest Threads by clioedout
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio 1.2 16v ABS headache Brakes/Hubs clioedout 27 2225 14th September 2015 01:11 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome